What causes radiating right sided pain from the jaw to the ear?

For about 2 weeks now, I ve been having a pain in the right side of my jaw that goes up to my ear, especially whenever I bite down on that side or move my jaw in a certain position. I don t know what it is but TMJ runs in my family and my mom thinks that is what it may be.
Asked On : Wed, 1 Feb 2017
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain pain in jaw radiating to right side of ear especially on biting down and moving the jaw in certain positions is most probably due to disorders in the function of the jaw joint known as Temporomandibular joint dysfunction or TMJ/TMD..

For confirmation consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation and investigation like Panoramic x ray can help in diagnosis and treatment can be done accordingly..

As of now you can take a combination of anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen and muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxasone..
You can take a soft diet and avoid excessive mouth opening..
Avoid stress as it can cause unintentional clenching of teeth leading to exaggeration of symptoms...

If TMJ is ruled out then you can be advised night guards, physiotherapy and a combination of painkiller and muscle relaxant..

Hope this information helps..

Regards..