What causes pus cells in the urine and rib pains ?

I M 19 YEARS OLD FEMALE WAT PRECAUTIONS SHD I TAKE AS I FOUND PUSS CELLS IN MY URINE..I ALSO HAVE PAIN ON MY SIDE NEAR RIBS WHY IS IT SO?
Asked On : Tue, 7 Jun 2011
hello hira,
if more than 5 in HPF it indicates urinary tract infection or non infectious condition such as fever, stress, dehydration irritation to urethra, bladder or urethra.
Pus cells don't always mean infection.in females upto 10 per high power field (HPF) may be normal. so consult the physician and get evaluated for the pain also.it may be urinary tract infection.
take care
General & Family Physician Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware's  Response
Hello shumaila;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Pus cells in urine more than 6 can suggest infection in urine which can be treated with antibiotics prescribed by any doctor.As precaution you should drink enough water and maintain good personal hygiene.The infection in urine is common in females than males due to a shorter urinary tract but you can just take care and avoid infection.As for pain on side near ribs it needs to be seen if it is related to infection or is it due to any other reason.Please consult a doctor for the pain and get examined.
Thanks