What causes numbness on the left leg, arm and face?

This is the second time (about a week ago), I have had this numb like sensation on my left side, leg, arm and side of face. It seemed to dissipate within a couple of hours the first time. It has been about two hours now and is still there. For the past couple of weeks I have had a stitch in my left groin area that comes and goes....however, I had been kayaking and straddling my kayak to get out and that could have something to do with it. Two years ago I had massive bloods clots in both lungs from a blood clot in the left leg. I am 70 and generally in good health.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Apr 2017

I am sorry to hear this.

The numbness on the left leg, arm, and face which is transient (for a couple of hours) suggestive of transient ischemic attack (TIA).

TIA results from decreased supply of blood to brain caused due to blockage of the blood vessel by clot.

TIA is common in >50 years age, smokers, with a history of Diabetes, hypertension, history of thombosis (clotting disorder).

Your history of massive blood clots in both lungs from a blood clot in the left leg (known as pulmonary embolism) suggests your current diagnosis more likely towards TIA.

I would manage like the following:

You will have to take Tab.Aspirin 75 mg once daily which is a blood thinner helps to prevent blood clot formation.
If you are already on Aspirin you should add Clopidogrel to it.
If you are a smoker - smoking cessation
Mild exercise - brisk walking
Monitor blood sugar levels and control sugars

Hope this answers your question. If you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.