What causes no periods for more than a year ? How is this condition tested and treated ?

No menstrual period for > 1 year and I'm only 41! And NOT pregnant! Hi, I m 41 y/o, never pregnant. I went off the pill in 2009. I had one period the month I went off the pill, and once a few months later. Nothing since. I have a copper IUD and am not pregnant. My GYN examined me and did a pap smear (all was normal) and says not to be concerned, but this seems weird. My doc mentioned peri-menopause, but it seems early for that, too. I also have lifelong persistent moderate asthma (and sometimes take cortisone pills), and am treated for chronic pain due to migraine and spinal stenosis . I m worried about this even tho my doc said not to worry. Should I try for a second opinion and what kinds of tests should I ask about?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Mar 2011