What causes kidney failure?

what causes kidney failure?any idea?
Asked On : Sat, 30 Aug 2008
Kidney failure can occur from an acute situation or from chronic problems. In acute renal failure, kidney function is lost rapidly and can occur from a variety of insults to the body. The list of causes is often categorized based on where the injury has occurred. Prerenal causes (pre=before + renal=kidney) causes are due to decreased blood supply to the kidney. Examples of prerenal causes are: * Hypovolemia (low blood volume) due to blood loss * Dehydration from loss of body fluid (vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, fever ) * Poor intake of fluids * Medication, for example, diuretics ("water pills") may cause excessive water loss. * Loss of blood supply to the kidney due to obstruction of the renal artery or vein. Renal causes (damage directly to the kidney itself) include: * Sepsis: The body's immune system is overwhelmed from infection and causes inflammation and shutdown of the kidneys. This usually does not occur with urinary tract infections. * Medicat
My creatinine level is 1.44. is there any problem with my kidney?
General & Family Physician Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware's  Response
Hello nihar;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Kidney failure can be :-acute and chronic and the few causes that can cause kidney failure are
Acute kidney failure:-It occurs when the kidney is suddenly loaded with toxins;medicines ;drugs or if the blood supply to the kidney is suddenly obstructed.Common causes are accidents;injuries;major surgeries like heart bypass;and many times the acute renal failure is reversible
Chronic-It occurs as a bad effect of major diseases like hypertension;diabetes which cause degenerative changes in the kidneys causing permanent damage.It is also seen as a side effect of the commonly used pain killer if used for long time ;and the common drugs are paracetamol;ibuprofen;aspirin etc.
I hope this answer is satisfactory.

One of my colleauge has one kidney failure  and its currently in 12% working condition and also doctor has told her that her kidney nerves have some problems due to which she has difficulty in passing the urine and she is advised to us a tube to pass the urine. I would like to know if this disease can be cured and if YES what is the best suggestion you would provide for the same.

Secondly i would like to know for the above issue is there any complications in having sex.

Thank You