What causes extremely vivid dreams which seem real ? How can these dreams be prevented ?

I want to know if exremely vivid dreams are normal. Every time I wake up I m confused because they re so real. Even if it s something that never would happen, I think it s real until I jolt awake. Please, I need an answer. I m starting to get scared by this.
Asked On : Wed, 2 Mar 2011
Exact reason for Why we dreams is still unknown, but frequent & extremely vivid dreams can be manifestation underlying psychological turmoil. Many psychiatric illness can have early manifestation of extremely vivid dreams of fearful or strange nature. Depression, Anxiety, Primary sleep disorders etc. are major psychiatric illness presenting most of the time with vivid dreams only. It can be due to side effect of many over the counter medication used for different reason. Improper use of sedatives & hypnotics now easily available OTC for minor sleep problems, are most common cause for vivid dreams in my opinion. Among the sedatives short term use and sudden withdrawal of alprazolam is most notorious for causing disturbances in dreaming processes. There is no need to prevent dreams at all. What you need is proper evaluation of your problem by a psychiatrist.

Thank You

Psychiatrist Dr. B. P. Sinha's  Response
Dream is normal hallucinatory phenomena. It is wish fulfilment but in a distorted form. it may look vivid or real in many cases or even same type may be repeated. Instead of preoccupying youeself, you start enjoying it. This will stop your scaring feeling. As dream is a normal phenomena, it can not be stopped or no need of having medicines for the same.
Dear Donna, Welcome to HealthcareMagic!
Dreams are basically reflections of our subconscious mind. There is no relations that they predict future. Many people feel that dreams are real but when they wake, they forget the dreams of NREM (non rapid eye movement) sleep. Some dreams of REM ( rapid eye movement) sleep are remembered. Few people continue to have nightmares even in adult life. I advice you to please consult a psychologic counselor.
Good luck.