What causes excessively long irregular period cycles, how are they controlled ?

I am 52. I have had regular periods for 2 years occuring every 30 days nearly to the hour. I had a period that was a little late that ran for about 6 days, which is somewhat normal for me. Then two weeks later I started again however I am still bleeding with no end in sight. It has been 12 days of what seems to be a building of the uterine lining, expelling it, building the lining, expelling it ad infinitum. What is your recommendation?
Asked On : Wed, 21 Mar 2012