What causes abnormal thirst in children ? By whom and how is it treated ?

Hello, My son drinks water all the time, and if we dont have it on hand right then and there when he wants it he gets very distressed and upset.. I thought this was normal and that he just drunk lots of water as he has always been like this since i can remember, until his teacher said to me the other day that in all her years of teaching she has never seen a child want water all the time like he does? What could this be?
Asked On : Tue, 15 Mar 2011
hi bianca,
its not normal for a child to drink water so much. it means that he is abnormally thirsty. he needs to be taken to a pediatician & needs to be evaluated fully. his bllod sugars & urine sugars needs to be tested. also it can be seen in renal problems. so needs a blood test also done for that.