What causes a sweet smell in the nose after inhaling water through it ?

A strange chemical, sweet smell in my nose ..especially when I enhale thru nose...lots of things now smell alike..like this strange sweet chemical smell I am 50 years old...a little over weight ...but generally good health...no meds. Female. This started 2 weeks ago after I choked on water (had started laughing while drinking a bottle of water)..inhaled some water...had never ever coughed so hard...has difficulty clearing my nose..almost needing a himelick ...finally got some air way cleared..took a good 5 minutes to get over coughing spree. By that evening I was having this strange smell in my nose..thought it was the new town I was visiting as I was at a conference. The smell just stayed and now is always there..stronger when enhaling stronger..very weird.
Asked On : Sat, 7 Apr 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Don`t worry it will be some remaining fluid which would have been strong damaged your olfactory nerve endings which is situated at the roof of your nose. This recover back completely in 4 to 6 weeks. if no improvement beginning by 2 weeks needs diagnostic nasal endoscopy by E.N.T surgeon to now the severity of damage