What can be the reason for red, swollen and fevered lips ?

My dad suffers from red, swollen lips that are fevered. This has been going on for several years. Any idea what may be causing this?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Aug 2011
As you said, Lips are red, swollen and fevered/inflamed...
1. Eczema
2. This happens in glucagonama rare tumor of islet cells of the pancreas, but you should rule out.
Tests advised..
MRI or CT abdomen
S. Glucagon
3. Allergic reactions may be because of hypersensitivity of particular food or beverage.
4. Extreme heat from radiation, but this cause lip swollen but hard and dry and many time occurs in lower parts of lip....

General & Family Physician Dr. Tina Jacob Das's  Response
Hello Melissa
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.Red and swollen lips of your father might be because of some kind of allergy, most common, due to massive amount of release of certain chemicals in blood which cause them to swell locally. Or it could be due to some injury which he got. Some kind of sting of insects like bee, in places where bees are seen very often also causes lips to swell.This kind of problem is also seen in certain long standing intestinal disorders too.For most of the causes, some antiinflammatory/ antihistamine should be taken. But prior to that a common blood count, needs to be checked.And would suggest you to take your father to a physician, as only after seeing, anybody can have a better picture as to what it is.Because it might be even infective.Hope i could answer your query. Keep me posted.Wish your father quicker recovery.