What can be done to a swollen jaw filled with puss ?

I have swelling on both sides of my jaw. When I put a hot compress on the area and press I get an odd taste in my mouth,i think its puss.
Asked On : Mon, 21 Mar 2011
Dentist 's  Response

There are many reason that can create foul smell and swelling. it may be dental infection, salivary gland infection, lymphadinities, third molar infection, any chronic infection that has become acute now.
you should not take it lightly and takea n appointment from the dentist to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.

General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
from your complain, it seems that,you might have some infection in salivary glands or you might have small sone in salivary gland,which can cause swelling of these glands and while pressing on it bring saliva in your mouth,infected saliva can give foul smel.
some times chronic lymphadenitis below the ears,due to infection in the ear or in the mouth can give foul smell while consult ent sp.and take his opinion