What can a painful lump on my breast be ?

I am 24 and I started noticing this red lump on the outside of my nipple. Its kinda painful. What can it be.
Asked On : Tue, 17 May 2011
hi welcome to caremagic
r u married and breastfeeding? if so u can start a course of looks like a ?retension cyst due to a infective cause..look out for any other there any dicharge? better consult a surgeon and get evaluated..
welcome to the health care magic forum,the kind of bump you are noticing is a kind of skin infection usually called mastitis,you need to have antibiotic course for 4-5 days and it will go of even you can also have intiinflammatory tabs to relieve the pain and ointment application,no need to worry ,ok
take care !
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
welcome to healthcare magic
it seems to be a cyst due to ifection.if you brestfeeding the child then its possibility is high.if its related to your menstrual cycle then other diagnosis can be suspected.
so its better to consult a physician nearby and get you doubts cleared.
take care
I am a mother of a 3 and 5 year old. I didn't breast feed them. I guess I'm getting worried because both of my grandmas and all of my aunts on both sides of my family have had breast cancer pretty young. (in their late 30's) Not sure how this relates but from the time I was 20 I struggled with ovarian cysts that were pretty bad and now this lump on my breast. What does it mean