What can I do for tricuspid Valve Problem and Palpitations ?

Hi! I am 36 years old and I was diagnosed with tricuspid regurgitation. My cardiologist has determined that I don t have pulmonary hypertension at this time, but I did show traces of mitral valve prolapse . Several years ago I was diagnosed with an arterial sceptical aneurysm , but my current Cardiologist hasn t said anything about it. I take Toporal XL to help with my palpitations, but they get extremely bothersome around my time of the month. My doctor doesn t think that I need valve replacement at this time,but I am overweight and he says that I have to get the weight off for the sake of my health. I can t take diet medication, so is there anything else that I can do to help loose weight and keep it off? Also, what can I do to help ease the palpitations around my time of the month? When will I know that it is time to consider replacing the valve and what kind of rehab does this entail? Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Jul 2011

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Weight loss can be achieved by altering diet , doing exercise .Please follow the points I mention here.

Keep in mind
1)You should lose unnecessary fat and promote muscle growth.For this , you should not skip meals or go fasting in an attempt to lose weight.
2)You should be patient enough as the results will take time and there are no proven methods to lose weight very quickly.
Please follow
1)Take food at regular intervals and specific times.
2)Avoid high fat and high oily food.
3)You should take adequate water (5-6 liters/day ) .Water itself can reduce obesity.
4)Avoid processed foods and fried foods.
5)Make a habit of brisk walk whenever you walk throughout the day.
6)Have some regular exercise , best being jogging , running , in your daily schedule.Jogging help s in burning excess fat to the maximum as it utilizes fat from very big muscled in thigh.
7)Have a cup of green tea before you eat your meals.This reduces fat absorption.
8)If you are not happy with the results from these methods , you can approach us again and Ayurvedic medicines effective in weight loss can be advised to you.

You can do pranayamam and meditation to ease your palpitations.Whenever you have palpation follow the principle"Concentrate on your breath and nothing else" and try to relax.Atleast the stress component promoting palpitations , would be reduced.
Regarding valve replacement decision can be best made by your cardiologist based on symptoms , drug response and Echocardiogram and other test.
Hope my answer helps you and get back to us if you need more information.