What are these dark patches on my tongue under the skin ?

female 70 yr have small dark patches on top side of tongue any ideas I am 70 yr old female. have 2 small dark patches on my tongue top under the skin . Former smoker 10 yrs ago. Could this be a dental issue or general health issue? Had a dental inf and crown that fell off w/broken post 5 mo ago. Dentist said that issue was ok. I am planning on that repair.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Apr 2011
Dentist 's  Response
if patch colour is blakish it is melenin pigmentation no need to worry it can be due to chronic irritation of your broken crown so please consult dentist.
Dermatologist Dr. Gaurav Patel's  Response
it should be examine first
u need to consult dentist
it may be traumatic or just natural ,age related spot
is it become more darker or bigger?