What are the symptoms of having ADHD?

hiya my son is nealy 5 years old and has lots enage and allways on the go he likes 2 get dressed and undress the same way morreing noon and night go the same way have the same dish plate knife fork spoon at each meal time he will still sreech and very high pich and when he kicks off he will screem and lass out nip and that can go on for hurs im sure my son has ahda as both is half bothers have please will you give me some advice
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Thank you for your query.

First coming to the classification. As ADHD has 3 different types:

1. Combined ADHD (which includes all symptoms -I shall mention them below)
2. Inattentive ADHD (poor concentration and attention)
3. Hyperactive-impulsive ADHD (hyperactivity is present, but poor attention is almost never seen)

Symptoms are as follows:
1. Of inattention-
-Short attention span (shifting from one activity to another very fast and usually without completing the first one)
-Poor attention leading to careless and messy mistakes (usually only observed once the child starts attending school)
-Easily distracted by a stimuli not intended to distract the child (unintentional stimuli causing distraction)
-Disorganized (seen in the arrangement of room, clothes, books, etc)
-Gives priority to less important things and puts more important ones aside
-Cannot finish simple tasks given at school (homework, etc.)
-Jumping from one topic to another while speaking

2. Of hyperactivity-

-Fidgeting while asked to be seated (common even in normal children, but please note that it will be present along with other presentation)
-Hyperactivity: frequently moving or running around
-Not tiring easily
-Talking excessively

3. Impulsiveness-

-Answering before question is completely
-Delayed response
-Finds it impossible to wait ones turn
-Initiating tasks or conversations in inappropriate times

I would also advise you to give him some more time, as he is 5 years old, and many children are hyperactive at this stage. If you find a strong similarity with the above given symptoms, you could consult your Family Physician or a child Psychiatrist for a better and more in depth analysis.

You can always write back to us for more information. I would be happy to answer your queries.

Warm regards.