Thanks for posting your query.
Redotil is an anti-diarrheal that is contraindicated in patients with renal disease
. It can also cause a few other side effects like nausea
, and headache.
It is safe to give as a short term measure, but you need to watch out for these side effects. But it is best to find out why he has these repeated episodes.
There could be many causes of loose stools in elderly people.
1. Diabetic diarrhea: Occurs in those with longstanding diabetes
due to nerve disease.
2. Clostridium difficile: This infection affects many old people.
3. Medicines: Those who are on many medications like antihypertensives, antibiotics etc.
4. Indigestion: Old people may find it difficult to digest certain foods like some sugars in milk etc.
5. Emotional stress can also cause diarrheal episodes.
It would be best to get your father evaluated by his treating physician to check if there is any remediable cause for his loose stools.