What are the side effects of novelon in long term ?

Dear Doctor , my wife is taking Novelon pill since last One year. although we do not have any planning for taking issue for coming few years. so my question is How long one can take this medicine without any gap? What could the problems if she continues taking it for long? what are other options to prevent pregnancy if it is not good to take oral contraceptive pills for long? pl guide.
Asked On : Fri, 5 Aug 2011
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi Dear thanks for your question,your taking novelon,which is combination of estrogen and progesterone and is contraceptive pill.Ithas some common side effect and some serious side effect.The common one are;weight changes,Headache,nausea,breast tenderness,vaginal spotting.The serious side effects are;breast lump,calf /leg pain,chest pain,abnormal vaginal bleeding.shortness of breath.there are many ways to control pregnancy like using condoms,placing multiload devices into the uterus and injection of hormones taken on monthly basis.there is no specific period for which the pill should be continued,as long as your lipid profile remains normal,and your not above 35 years of age ,you can continue the contraceptive pills.Hope i answered your question
General & Family Physician Dr. Padma Saikia's  Response
Hi Sen,

Welcome to HCM.

The combined oral contraceptive pill (COCP), often referred to as the birth-control pill is a birth control method that includes a combination of an estrogen (oestrogen) and a progestin (progestogen). When taken by mouth every day, these pills inhibit female fertility.

It causes increase in weight gain,thromboembolism, pulmonary embolism etc.on the other hand pills improve conditions such as pelvic inflammatory disease, dysmenorrhea, premenstrual syndrome, and acne.[76] And they reduce symptoms of endometriosis and polycystic ovary syndrome, and decrease the risk of anaemia.

There are also 3 months once injections which help birth control and many others. You can consult a obstetrician for further guidance.

Take Care.