What are the precautions to be taken for recurrent throat problems?

Hello Doc. I have cold and cough problem which usually become chronic kind stays for a week or two or even more.It starts with sneeze followed by running nose and cough and slowly the the sputum along with cough or through nose which turns white to yellow to greenish yellow with progressive days and sometimes with little streak of blood.Throat usually become sore and remain for moer then a week or two many times. The cough is also very painful mostly makes lots of whooping noise, continuous and increases at sleeping time. It gradually recovers very slowly with gargles and some medicines. I have shown many doc.s have taken TB tests which are negative and most doctor gave some antibiotic and coughsyrup, But I always feel evrytime they are treating my symptoms , not the cause. Will you help me in understanding the real problem and its cause. My querry is why Iam struck easily with such throat problems & cough so often. I have sometime also taken Chawanprash although but still seasonal variation and heat shock differences, enhances these kind of problem. Will you help me understand the real problem and tell me precautions to take.Thank you for your valuable suggestions and analysis.
Asked On : Thu, 24 Dec 2009