What are the effects of protera d capsules on the fetus ?

Hi i was on protera d capsules and i got to know i was pregnent. I want to know if there are any side effects on the fetus
Asked On : Sun, 11 Mar 2012
Welcome to HCM!
Protera -D capsules have pantoprazole which is a selective “proton pump inhibitor” where as domperidone is a propulsive. It is used for treatment of acid-related diseases of the stomach and intestine. Pantoprazole is a pregnancy category B drug which means studies have been performed in rats and rabbits and have revealed no evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus due to pantoprazole. There are, however, no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Because animal reproduction studies are not always predictive of human response, this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. Domperidone is a pregnancy category C means animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. As there are no direct reports of its effects on fetus this combination should only be used if the medicine is considered essential by your doctor. Hope I have answered your query. Thanks