What are the chances of a misleading pregnancy test with no history of medical complications ?

we did not have sex but we did use protection when we met last month. this happened just before my period had to start within 2-3 days. but my period started just the next day itself but it was normal. now again this month, the period has started on its right time (after 30-31 days) but the blood flow is really really less. only drops of bloods are seen which is slightly darker in colour. can this be a sign of spotting, which is a symptom of pregnancy? or is it just a problem with my period? does spotting happen consecutively for 3-4 days? i did twice the home pregnancy test ( urine test ) on two consecutive days during this so called spotting or my regular period. both the times, it was negative. should i trust the results of this pregnancy test? are home pregnancy tests really reliable? what are the chances of a misleading pregnancy test? i am 21 years old, female, with no history of medical complications.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Mar 2011