What are the best ways to stop taking Prilosec and still control acid reflux?

I take Prilosec for chronic acid reflux . I live a fairly normal life without the pain and misery of acid reflux due to the use of Prilosec. However, I have read about the increased possiblility of catching pneumonia from continuous use of Prilosec. It seems that I am more susceptible to pneumonia as I have been getting it once or twice a year now. I am male, 63 years old, have hiatal hernia , am 50 pounds overweight. Do you think my susceptibility to pneumonia is related to the use of Prilosec? Could this be aspiration pneumonia caused by continued acid reduction in the stomach and resulting proliferation of bad bacteria aided by hiatal hernia and the resultant repeated reflux and associated small aspirations, especially at night while lying prone and sleeping? If so, what are the best ways to stop taking Prilosec and still control acid reflux? I recognize that weight reduction is one of the factors.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Feb 2011