What are my options in relieving pain after a surgery of disc replacement ?

Last year, after X-rays and an MRI , I was diagnosed with a protruding disc between L-4 and L-5. I had a series of 3 injections of a steroid w epidural . I lived pain-free for about 8 months. I recently had the same series, ending Nov. 15, 2010, Today, I returned to my pain management spec., highly recommended by my PCP, because the pain, esp. when I stand has not been reduced, and learned that the arthritis in that same area has expanded. He gave me injections in 6 sites after palpating and locating points of severe pain to the left and right of the spine. If the injection next week does not improve the situation, he will not do the third treatment. I am a female, 68, and have endured decades of back pain that was treated occasionally by chiropractors. Short of surgery , what are my options in relieving pain?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Dec 2010