What alternative medicines can I take to cure high blood pressure during pregnancy ?

I am 38 and 11 weeks pregnant . Previous to being pregnant I had high blood pressure and reduced it to normal through diet and exercise-no medications. Now that I am pregnant (even though I watch my diet even more carefully) my blood pressure has gone back up. My doctor wants to prescribe medication. Are there any alternatives? I am scared to death of side effect (known and unknown) of medications-are these side effects less harmful than hbp to me and the fetus?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Apr 2011