Went off birth control. Will it be ok to go back for birth control after periods. Effects on pregnancy?

my girlfriend went off her birth control after her last period . she has taken a break and her period should be starting soon. is it ok for her to go back on birth control after her upcoming period? would there be any side effect and would it be effective against pregnancies going back on it or would it take time before it to be effective.
Asked On : Sun, 8 Apr 2012
Hello sir, birth control pills are effective in the very cycle in which it's started. All she needs is to stay regular in terms of daily intake and timing. All the best.