Went for a root canal, did not get the shot as the tooth was dead, numbness during drilling. Will I need a shot in next visit?

I was wondering, for a root canal , I went last week for the first part. Usually you get a rubber dam, a shot and such but this time since my tooth was so dead they told me i did not need the shot and they would start drilling and i wouldnt feel a thing. They drilled, got the puss out, suctioned and what not. Im going back on the 31st for the second visit im guessing for a cap? What will they do now? Will i need a shot this time or..?
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome,
since you do not have pain in your first visit while removing pulp tissue which is non-vital,you will not get pain in your following visits too.
in case of root canal treatment,more chance of getting pain is in first visit,ie,while removing pulp in the canal.
since the tooth is non-vital,in next visit,biomechanical preparation using k-and h-files and cleaning and shaping of canals using saline-sodium hypochlorite solution has to be done.
then after drying the canal using paper points,it has to be obturated with gutta-percha points using sealer by lateral condensation technique.
take complete antibiotics-analgesics course.
regards
dr.bindiya
Dentist Dr. Anshul Agarwal's  Response
hi.. in your next visit your tooth will be evaluated for its healing like pain is present or not , swelling etc. then roots of that tooth will be cleaned ( this procedure is called BMP ) and then you will schedule for the next appointment . you wont be getting your cap until your rct is over which may take total of 4-5 appointments

good luck

Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
injection shot is given when the pulp of the tooth is vital.
in your case since you had pus your pulp had become non vital or dead by itself, so you did not require an anaesthesia injection. pus release causes the pain to subside .
i don't feel they will do the cap now. they will first ascertain of any remnant infection and do further cleaning. however if the canal is clear they will fill it with gutta percha and will call you for capping in the next visit.
thanks
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Hello
Welcome to HCM
I would like to tell you that this procedure of root canal involves 3 steps:-
-access opening-that has already been done & even pulp has been removed
-biomechanical preparation-involves cleaning & shaping of canal & preparing it for sealing.
-obturation-involves sealing canal with gutta-percha
Your tooth is non-vital but still you have to go for next two steps before getting capping done.
Its better to get it completed in better way.

Take Care
Dr.Neha Sumra
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response

Since the tooth is non-vital,in next visit, biomechanical preparation (BMP) using k-and h-files and cleaning and shaping of canals using saline-sodium hypochlorite solution has to be done.

After root canal treatment cap is must.
No, you will not get shot next time.
Your tooth will be grinded, impression will be taken then cap will be fixed with help of cement.

Regards.