Weight lifting and training for football. Can whey protein powder have long term side effects?

Hello- My son is 16 years old and has been training for football. He has been going to a football trainer 2-3 times a week and does weight lifting. Now he wants to take Whey protein powder. I am uncomforatable with this and would like to know if there are any long term side effects and whether any of his organs will be damaged Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Thank you for choosing HCM
There are no side effects for taking a whey protein powder, in fact it is good for your son as he stays very active and need those extra nutrients , whey protein is just the simplest for of protein it is absorbed by your body in 15-20 mins , unlike eating chicken which takes 2-3 hours or even more , so after an intense training your body needs its protein within 30-60 mins of the workout , the best way to do that is to take a protein shake.
Thank you and take care