Was startled while driving causing chest pain and pain down neck to shoulder. Advice?

While driving last night, I was startled and had to suddenly swerve to avoid hitting a surprise bicyclist, my heart jumped and I was left with pain in my chest that still remains s quite uncomfortable today. I have sharp pain in my neck down to my shoulder blade area when I turn my head to the left but I can t pinpoint the pain to a muscle, it feels deep. I don t know wether to wait it out or visit a doctor
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting on HCM,

You must have had an anginal attack which is a more milder form of heart attack. Angina pectoris is a type of coronary heart diseases which could be stable or unstable. You likely have had the stable angina pectoris. It will also be wise to rule out peptic ulcer diseases.
I suggest you get an appointment with a physician (which is no longer an emergency) so he can evaluate you completely and provide you with preventive therapy so as to prevent future attacks as recurrence is a likely possibility.

Wish you the best