Wants to increase height. Athletic person, stretches a lot, follows a healthy diet. Suggestion?

Hello. i am a 19 year male. i am 5 9 and wondering if i am done growing. my dad is 5 9 but has brothers that are 6 ft and over. Also all my cousins are over 6 ft but theyre parents are all shorter than me. i was wondering if i could still have a chance of growing to my dream geight of 6 ft? i am a athletic person, i strech alot and eat right. if there is anything i can do to increase my height PLEASE let me know.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query on and allowing us to clarify your doubts.

Well, boys generally have their growth spurt later as compared to the girls. 19 years, i think is almost the maximum age till which you can grow. But if you continue, stretching exercise and games like basket ball and eat good high protein diet, you might stand the chance of probably increasing another inch or so. It has been seen that boys can grow even upto 20-21 years also, though the height velocity then reduces ofcourse.

Anyways, i dont want you to lose hope, continue the good things i just told you and you stand a fair chance of gaininig your cousin's height, since you have a strong family history of tall stature.

Hope i have helped you to clarify your doubts and i will be available for any further queries if any. Take care and stay healthy.

General & Family Physician Dr. Polash Sannigrahi's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear...
Height of an individual is determined by Genetics, Environmental & Nutritional factors and Hormonal factors (most important the Growth Hormone secreted by pituitary gland in brain)
An individual stops growing in height after the fusion of the Epiphyses (growth plates) of the long bones, which occurs by the age of 19-21 yrs in males. may still have a chance of achieving your dream height.
Make sure that you are taking a healthy & balanced diet, exercise regularly & avoid stress.
One more thing...avoid consuming any over the counter medication which claim to increase may be harmful.
Wishing you Good Health.
Thanks and take care.