Wanted to postpone periods. Prescribed Norethisterone, periods still came. Will taking the medication lessen the flow or prolong the period?

I was presribed Norethisterone to stop period but came on today anyway. Going on holiday in two days (periods last five days). Should I continue to take the tablets and will this lessen the flow or will it just prolong the period? I could have two free days at the end of the holiday, unfortunately the forecast is for rain then and the beach is then out of the question.
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012