Want to delay family plan, 29 yrs old. How long can I wait ?

Hello Doctor, I need your help to remove my fear and confusion regarding pregnancy.I am 29 , my husband s age is 31 and this is regarding our confusions of planning a family..I want to ask you that how much I can delay to plan a family. the reason is that , we are having few commitments which we want to fulfil before the responsibility of a baby comes on us..therefore I want to wait few more years but my friends and relatives has suggested to plan it now because of my age.they says that I will get more complications as my age cross 30 and also my medical history of cysts ,pls tell me that how much more time I can wait.And that should not effect the health of baby...and I also want to know that, is having a twins baby is a heridity ?, there is a pattern of having twins in my husbands maternal side.Am I also having the chance of having twins and how it will effect to my pregnancy due to my age?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013
  Anonymous's Response
As a fertility specialist i would advice you not to delay beyond 30 years..chances to concieve normally also decreases as age advances..defenitely delaying beyond 35 years may have negative effect on baby...twinning is hereditary and chances are defenitely there and chances may be slightly higher at advancing age also
Infertility Specialist Dr. Nandita Thakkar's  Response
Thank you for writing to HCM

The suggestions given by friends and medical literature suggests that delaying pregnancy is not a good idea.
The problem to get pregnant after 33 or 35 is also another issue.
The cysts if present in your ovary, may interfere with you getting pregnant. It may not have any effect on the pregnancy or the growing baby.

Regarding the question on twins, both hereditary factor and advancing maternal age will contribute to the issue and high chance of having twin or higher order multiple pregnancy.

Hope to have answered your query

Dr Nandita Thakkar