Wake up middle of night with itching in wrist and lower legs, later swollen bumps, maintain hygiene. Possible causes?

Hello Doctor, Lately(past 2 weeks), I have been waking up in the middle of the night with itching on my wrist and lower legs. Later in the day it is clear that there is are a swollen bump(like allergic reaction ) on my wrist and a couple on my lower leg. I washed my sheets, and thought about recent changes in my diet , but there doesn t seem to be an answer Do you know what the most likely possibilities are? Many Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is nearly impossible to predict - it may be inhaled, ingested or contact allergen.
The timing as you say, suggests contact - the washing powder could also be responsible!
Pets, carpets, cleaning air conditioner, food - any thing new in the last few days may account for it.

If you are very particular, a battery of tests are available - but the chances of finding it(them?) and modifying treatment based on it - may not be bright!

Whatever it is, simple anti-histamines will help

Wishing you speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck