Vomiting large amounts of blood and foam on exhalation, bleeding through nostrils leading to sudden death. What could have happened?

I saw an elderly man (65 ish) collapse in the street today - and went to his aid. On each exhalation he was vomiting a large amount of blood and foam, and had blood and other matter coming out of his nostrils. I put him into the recovery postion and as i was holding his hand and trying to clear his airways with tissues - he gave a final gasp and died. What might have caused this massive bleeding?
Asked On : Wed, 9 Jan 2013
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
In the final stages of life after the heart has stopped working effectively it is common for blood stained fluid to be enter the lungs in large amounts because the heart has stopped pumping properly. This then passes up the wind pipe into the mouth and nose. It appears as pink frothy fluid. I think this is what you observed.
Dr K A Pottinger