Vomiting, excessive sleep after getting a tattoo. Infection or ink poisoning?

My friend just got large tattoo on his arm not done by a professional by any means and it took the guy 13 hours to do the tattoo. after he slept for a few hours all hes been doing is vomit and sleep. is it shock or a bad timed cold or could it be infection or ink poisioning he has two other tattoos and has never had a problem but not from the same guy
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
This could be possibly related to the tattoo procedure. There is a risk of infection with such a long procedure carried out by an unlicensed person. The signs to watch for are a fever developing, further vomiting of increasing pain in the region of the tattoo. If any of these occur, I would suggest a visit to the emergency doctor for assessment.
Dr K A Pottinger