Vocal cord paralysis, unable to swallow, fever. Taken tylenol. Elevated proteins. What is the cause for symptoms?

My cousin developed vocal chord paralysis and is unable to swallow following a procedure to remove dead tissue from his leg (he has diabetes and sores that do not heal easily). He was given general anesthesia for the procedure. They performed a cat scan but did not see signs of a stroke. An MRI was not done because he has a pacemaker. He is now in this state, with a feeding tube , for two weeks. He had a fever of 104 last night and given Tylenol. A spinal tap showed elevated levels of protein. What are possible causes for his symptoms?
Asked On : Tue, 3 Jul 2012