Vein on the side of wrist. Is it a blood clot? Medical attention?

A large vein in the side of my wrist , just below the thumb , hurts. This vein extends up to the back of my hand . When I elevate my arm the vein goes down and the pain subsides. When I lower my wrist the blood flows back in to the vein and throbs with pain. It s been this way for three days. I did not twist or injure my wrist in any way. Do you know what this could be? Might it be a blood clot that I should seek medical attention for?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012