Vein collapsed after needle insertion for blood draw. Severe pain and bruise at the puncture site

I regularly donate platelets and blood with the United blood services. A year ago they punctured my vein . This week, same arm , my vein collapsed when they inserted the needle. Are these two related? I don t know why else my vein would collapse. I dont do drugs and dont use needles. Also, the bruise was a good 5 inches above the puncture site and I keep having this pain, randomly in my arm like my skin is stuck together and being pulled apart.
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013