Vegetable cells in baby report, anything to worry ?

in my baby report show as vegetable cells is present what does that mean is it dangerous
Asked On : Sun, 26 Feb 2012
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases 's  Response
Hello Sheetal ,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic forum.
Your query lacks details as to which tests you are referring to .
I assume its the stool routine test since you have mentioned vegetable cells.
If thats true , then do not worry as undigested fecal matter may contain vegetable cells , mucus, starch etc.
They are present in any infection or malabsorption or medication or allergy causing diarrhoea.Their presence may not be considered worrisome unless accompanied with pus cells, occult or frank blood in stools and persistent diarrhoea in child.
If the baby continues to have symptoms despite appropriate treatment, you should get a stool culture test done to confirm the cause.
Wishing your baby good health.