Vaginal itching with white discharge, cough. Inserted tampon incorrectly. Yeast infection?

I am not sure if i have a yeast infection or not. During my last period I seemed to have inserted a tampon incorrectly and when I took it out it hurt a bit. After that I had intense itching in the groin area which subsided over the next week. It s been about three weeks and there is still some itching and some white discharge . A few days ago I have developed a cough (maybe unrelated but not sure) where I cough up stuff in the morning. I m currently living outside the US so I want to make sure before I go to the drugstore or the doctors to make sure if it is an actual yeast infection or not.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012