Vagina has been itching and red. Is that an allergic reaction?

For about 5 days my vagina has been itching like crazy and its red . I have been useing a scented body wash so i think it may be that. Since i used a body wash befor and i had an allergic reaction to it. But i changed my body wash to aveeno soothing cream and it dosnt itch as much. But it still hurts alot . What could this be ?
Asked On : Sun, 26 Aug 2012
Hello and welcome to health care magic.
The redness and itching are suggestive of an allergic reaction to an irritant substance in your body wash. Or it can be an infection with common pathogens like trichomonas or candida. My advice is to visit an OBGYN specialist and let her have a look. If it's due to trichomonas, she will give metronidazole and anti histamine tablets.
If it's due to allergic reaction, you have to change your body wash again.
Even though the brands may change, the preservatives and anti perspirants may be the same;and allergy to a single chemical can result in itching and redness. So make sure to go through the chemical composition as well during your next shopping.
Hope this discussion will be helpful to you. Thank you.