Using pre-rejoint for arthritis. Stopped drug on ORTHOPEDIC advice. Mild pain, swollen joints. Continue drug again?

I had been using pre-rejoint for about three years for my early stage arthritis . I had no problem and my deases was not advancing. BUT ONCE i WENT TO AN ORTHOPEDIC and he advised me to stop that, I am not taking it for the last year and a half. Last few days, I find there is a mild pain in one of my foot joints, Both joints remain a bit swollen also. What do I do. Should I continue with the drug again ? Is it safe to take it on along term basis? Ranjan Masurekar my e-mail id YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013