Using paraguard, had two periods in a month, continuous bleeding since. Cause of concern?

I have had a para guard for 3 yrs. I had my OBGYN check it in October. It was fine. In January I had a heavy period on the 16th for a week and another period starting on 1/31. It s 2/12 and I am still bleeding very heavily, have slight burning when I urinate and a strong smell that i ve never had. This is my first time ever having two periods In the same month. I am out of the country working and cannot get to my doctor. Should I be concerned? I ve never been pregnant and just turned 38.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013
The heavy and irregular bleeding that you are having could be due to dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Since the bleeding is heavy, it needs a hormonal treatment to control the bleeding.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal ,