Using bleach, chest tightness, difficulty swallowing on breathing in fumes. Emergency condition?
I was cleaning my bathroom and mixed bleach and toilet bowl works together.I breathed it in and now my chest feels tight and hard to swallow .I stood out on my balcony to get some fresh air for 20 min. It is better than what it was but do I need to go to ER. I currently have my mouth open still grasping for clean, fresh air.
Bleach releases nascent chlorine that is a major respiratory irritant and that is why your chest feels tight. Direct contact with skin also causes irritation.
You will need a blue inhaler (levosalbutamol or asthalin) that works immediately and used as an emergency device for asthmatics. You will need a prescription for this in the US/EU but symptoms should settle down in a few hours. Do open all windows and doors and put the fan on in the rooms to get the vapour out.
If you start getting chest tightness for simple deodorants or milder irritants, do contact your doctor for a respiratory/asthma evaluation.
Hi willis ! It is just intoxication, use nose inhaler, menthol candy, drink water, tea, lemon or citrus juice, go for fresh air, wash your face and antiallergy tab like cetrizine, relax, if still problem consult the medic. Take care bye.
Answered: Tue, 25 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
You found this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer.
For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]