Using Metformin for Type II diabetes. Pain in mid back, urine smells. High Bllod sugar. Advice?

Hello, I recently began taking time released metformin for type 2 diabetes and ever since I started taking it I have had low grade pain in my right mid hip,back area. my urine also smells a little bad but only during the day, not when I first get up in the morning. the highest my blood sugar was was 140 before taking the metformin with no other symptoms. and I have never had kidney issues before. Also in the last week I had developed an ear ache in my left ear that has gotten a little worse over time. I was really wanting to know if the metformin can cause kidney problems. I have never hhad thirst issues but have tried to increase my water intake over the last few months. I typically only drink about 1.5 liters of liquid per day cause I just don't get thirsty. I also seldom eat salty food. I am planning to go to the MD this week but just wanted some more info before I go.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013