Used toilet cleaner instead of dishwasher liquid. Concerned about the intake of chemical residue?

I accidently put Harpic toilet descaler in my dishwasher instead of dishwasher salts. I didn t realise until after my whole family had eaten dinner from the plates and drunk water from the glasses which had been in there. No one has been unwell, but I am worried about any long term damage. Should I be concerned or will the rinising part of the cycle and the 65 degree wash have killed any harmful chemical residue?
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012
hi... the washing process itself must have get rid of unnecessary chemicals... and since no oone is experiencing any symptoms now, you need not worry about a long term consequence.. mild amount of chemicals will be effectively washed off from our body through urine and fecal matter..

General & Family Physician Dr. Sourav Ganguly's  Response
Thanks for posting query.

The household toilet cleaner Harpic contains hydrochloric acid (~10%) as the active ingredient, along with butyl oleylamine. Hydrochloric acid in the cleaner is what causes the symptoms of poisoning. Well, it’s a less violent acid comparatively. It does not cause serious damage to any of the vital organs but can damage the mucus membrane in the stomach causing bleed.
Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly