Urge to constantly clear throat, redness, throat filled with veins. Causes for symptoms?

I have had the urge to clear my throat for several years. I can say about more than 4 years i have felt this. I am a smoker and have been one for several years too but I can think back of a time, before I started smoking , where I would constantly clear my throat. It doesn t hurt, only feels sore sometimes but mostly it s annoying. I can still eat and drink anything normally. My throat also looks red and veiny right now, this happens every so often too. What could it be?
Asked On : Tue, 4 Sep 2012