Upper leg pain, has fever. Taken Advil. Is this viral infection?

Good morning, My son is almost 10. He plays hockey. Few days ago he started complaining about the pain in his right leg (upper, thigh). He was ok to play hockecy thou on Sunday. On Monday, he couldn t stand on this leg and he develped fever 38.8. He went to ER. They did x-ray of the leg, everything seems to be fine and they did blood work. Nothing abnormal there. Last night his fever went to 41. I have been given him Advil which brings it down a little for few hours. Would you have any advice as to what could this be and what should be done? I am not sure if the pain in the leg, he couldn t walk yesterday and fever are relaterd. Could that be some viral infection in the muscle? I just don t want to continue with Advil and wait in case he needs some real medications . Please advice. Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013