Upper arm swelling. Broken left humerus, surgery done with pins and plates. Titanium rod broken. Third surgery?

I fractured my left humerus Oct 2011 due to a fall. I had surgery to repair. Plate and pins used in the repair. Late January 2012 there was separation of plate and screws. I had the second surgery February 2, 2012 with new plate and hardware. Post op x-rays at month 1 and 2 after both surgeries showed good healing and nothing abnormal. June 11th after mild pool excercises left arm felt strange and upper arm swelled abnormally that evening. Little pain. Had x-rays and saw the ortho PA on the 13th. The titanium rod broke in a V pattern in the top third of the plate. I m now facing a third surgery and am frustrated, angry and extremely nervous about yet another surgery. I am a non-smoker aged 64 and in good health otherwise. Any ideas why the plate broke and if the third time will be the charm ? They will do a bone graft this time. Thanks for your time.
Asked On : Thu, 21 Jun 2012