Upper abdominal pain, below ribcage, pain on breathing. History of IBS. Causes for symptoms?

Hi I am having trouble with upper abdominal pain when I wake up, it is just below my ribcage mainly in the center, it hurts when I breath in. It hurts when I move around in bed and generally wakes me up. Goes away when I get up and get moving. I do have IBS . I am wondering what this could be and also what I can do to prevent it
Asked On : Sat, 22 Sep 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you might be having gastritis.

I would advise that you should take an antacid like Omeprazole 40mg once a day before meals.

Following precautions will be helpful :-
1.Avoid spicy and oily foods.
2.Avoid being empty stomach for long periods.
3.Avoid mental and emotional stress.
4.Avoid smoking and alcohol, if any.
5.Avoid self medications, especially pain killers and steroids.
6.Drink lots of water daily.

I would also suggest that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated.
An Endoscopy will be helpful.

I hope this is helpful to you.