Unprotected sex during mid of the cycle. What will help to avoid pregnancy?

Hi I am 42 yrs old . My period date is on 21st of October . Since today will be my 18th day and had unsafe sex today ..... Please guide what to I do as early as possible to avoid any preganancy further .will birth control pills will help me or primolute n ? As per my cycle I get my periods max by 22 or 23 rd day ? Please help .....
Asked On : Thu, 11 Oct 2012
Thanks for using HCM.
Generally in a 28 day long cycle ovulation (ovum formation in your ovary) occurs near the 14th day, and ovum remain viable for 1 to 2 days where as sperm can remain viable for 2 to 3 days so you may be pregnant in 18th day.
So you should use some emergency contraceptive pills which act in post sex period and prevent pregnancy in 99% cases.
It acts by-
1) Preventing the fertilisation( meting of sperm with the ovum).
2) It prevents implantation (prevent attachment of the egg to your uterine wall).
if already fertilisation completed.
3) It interfers the function of corpus luteum which helps inmaintaining pregnancy.(If already Implantation completed)
so it acts via 3 mechanism failure rate is very low.
But for its action you have to take it within 72 hours and strictly 72 hours. More earlier the intake more efficient will be the action. But not effective after 72 hours.
You can get this in any medicine shop.
Best of luck.