Unprotected sex during menstrual cycle, penis covered in blood. Is unprotected sex during periods safe?

I am a 24 year old man, i am in a relationship with a girl of 20 from the past 2 years and planning to get married with in a year. recently i got intimate with her, and could not control myself and had unprotected sex with her during her period, this was the first time we had sex with each other, the blood was all over my penis , will this cause any problem to me or my partner. We both are healthy. Please help reguarding this matter. Is unprotected sex during period safe?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Nov 2012